Our Application Process
1. The Paperwork (plus Application Fee)
(You can download the relevant documents on the right, or get them from school reception.)
- Complete the general application form, making sure to answer all the questions and sign the form.
- An application administration fee of R500 must accompany the application – please note that this fee is not refundable.
- For applications for Primary and High School, a copy of your child’s most recent report must accompany the application (not originals please).
- A copy of your child’s birth certificate must be included.
- There are two extra application forms for the High school, for completion by both parents and pupils. There is also a section to be completed by the current teacher, to be sent to us directly.
- Copies of any medical, psychological or therapists’ reports and/or assessments, if there are any, must be sent.
- A letter of motivation from you, giving your reasons for applying to send your child to Michael Oak, and giving a picture of your child’s strengths and weaknesses.
2. What Happens Next?
- When there is the possibility of a place in the class, the teacher will review the applications on the waiting list with the Faculty, before authorising an interview with your child and you (we do not interview if the class is full, but will keep your application on our waiting list for the year).
- A credit check will be made.
- A screening by our remedial teacher is required for children going into Class 1, and may be requested for other Primary School grades.
- Subsequent to the interview, the application will be reviewed by the relevant Faculty, taking into account the needs of the class as a whole, as well as the needs of the applying child, before making a decision on acceptance. The application may even be referred to the College of Teachers, if deemed necessary.
- There will be a short financial interview with the Bursar.
- You will be notified in writing if your child has been accepted.
- On acceptance, a non-refundable placement fee of R3500 is payable in order to secure the place, and you will need to sign an Acceptance of Place agreement.
Tuition and Fees
Michael Oak is an independent school and a not-for-profit organisation. As we receive no government subsidies, the school is reliant on the fees paid by parents. The bulk of these fees go directly towards the salaries of the teachers, and the daily running costs of the school. As such, the school maintains financial discipline and needs cooperation from our parents. Fees are payable monthly in advance, over 12 months. Late payments will incur penalties.
Parents encountering payment difficulties should please contact the school’s Bursar as soon as possible so that arrangements can be made in good time. Michael Oak has a limited financial assistance scheme providing support for Primary and High School children.
Please download the School Fee Sheet for details of our fees for this year.
Book a School Tour
If you are interested in learning more about our school, we would love for you to come for a visit. We will give you a short tour of our beautiful school grounds so that we can show you our facilities and introduce you to the Waldorf methodology and community.
Tours are usually held Tuesdays through Thursdays in the afternoon. To book a time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Attend an Open Day
To find out about our next Open Day or to register, please email email@example.com.
“Receive the children in reverence, educate them in love, and send them forth in freedom.”
“For every one step that you take in the pursuit of higher knowledge, take three steps in the perfection of your own character.”
“Activities demanding manual and bodily skill, such as knitting, leads to the enhancement of the faculty of judgement.”